Well, I guess I'm not as ready as I thought I was. Today at work, my friends were hugging me and telling me they would be thinking of me and I was reassuring them that everything would be fine. I'm having my hysterectomy on Tuesday and not returning to work until January. The whole time my stomach was churning. I guess I'm more nervous about this than I thought.
I came to realize something the other day that really motivated me to move ahead. Since I was adopted, my family medical history has been pretty limited. I had always been told growing up that the women in my family had died from ovarian cancer. So, I always knew that at some point I would get a hysterectomy. But, I still had doubts in the back of my mind about the mastectomies. I was wondering if it was really going to make that much difference. Well, I looked at my test results the other day and noticed that I have BRCA1 and not BRCA2. BRCA1 has a higher risk for breast cancer, while BRCA2 has a higher risk for ovarian cancer. It made sense to me. I knew that my mother had passed away from a tumor in her neck, but I had always wondered how ovarian cancer got way up there. She had had a hysterectomy for prevention as well. I'm thinking it must have actually been breast cancer. So, that just solidified the decision for the mastectomies. That's for sure. I called and made my appointment today.
Thank you all SO MUCH for the prayers and encouragement. I won't be offended if you get sick of hearing me talk about all this and don't always read my blog. That's fine. I understand. :)
I will be anxious to read all your updates Sarah. Prayers, prayers and more prayers.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Sharon. Let me know if there's anything I can pray about for you too. :)
ReplyDeleteSarah,
ReplyDeleteI love your honesty! Sometimes we might feel that we have to put on a brave face for others or not complain when, truly, inside we feel pain, turmoil, trepidation, or sadness. I am so glad you are writing this! Please don't think your friends and family will ever be sick of hearing you talk about this (or reading about it!)! Reading about what you are feeling and going through can help others support you better! You have reached out to others in their time of need, and not so now it's time for others to be here for you! And, of course, God will be your constant source of strength throughout this.
You are a wonderful and special person! I'm sending up prayers for you every night.
-Danielle
Thank you, Danielle. You are a sweet friend. I'm looking forward to "hanging out with you." :)
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to it, too! :) Oh, I realized that I had written "not" in line 6--that's a typo! You have always been supportive (and never not supportive!) :)
ReplyDelete-Danielle
Writing this blog is a great way to help deal with the emotions and I'm really glad you're taking responsibility for that. As you know, it's part of the process too.
ReplyDelete